In one day, most of us will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo. Wouldn’t it be great to have margaritas that are healthier for you, so you don’t have the regret of drinking all those calories? Well, just for you we have listed the healthier margarita recipes as well as virgin margaritas packed full of superfoods.
Top 10 Healthy Margarita Recipes
1. The Classic Margarita
What can be said about this one, except it’s the margarita that started it all, but now you can ditch the classic green bottle.
- 1 1/2 oz 100% agave silver tequila
- 1 oz Cointreau or triple sec (or a splash of OJ)
- 1 1/2 oz lime juice (from one large lime)
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- Coarse salt and a lime slice for garnish
1.Pour enough salt onto a plate to cover it lightly. Rub the rim of a rocks glass with the cut side of a lime, and dip it into the salt to create a light salt rim. Add a few large ice cubes to the glass. Combine the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, and agave syrup in a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 20 seconds. Pour, slurp, and pucker.
2. Avocado Margarita
Say what? Avocado Maragarita? Smooth, creamy and delicious.
- Salted rim:
- 1 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp ancho (or regular) chili powder
- 2 lime wedges
- The margarita:
- 1 California avocado, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups crushed ice
- 3 oz. lime juice
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- 4 oz. tequila
- 2 oz. triple sec
- 3 spring cilantro
- 2 lime wedges, for garnish
On a plate, mix together the salt and chili pepper.
Run a lime wedge around the rim of each margarita glass and turn each glass upside down into salt mixture. Turn the glass until the rim is completely coated.
In a blender, combine the avocado, crushed ice, agave nectar, tequila, triple sec and cilantro springs. Blend until smooth.
Pour the margarita into the two prepared glasses. Garnish the rims of the glasses with lime wedges. Serve.
3. Slim And Sparkling Lemon Lime Margarita
Keep that figure with a less calorie and sugar limeade with a twist.
Add zero-calorie flavored sparkling water for a fun bubbly bevvy.
- 3 ounces Sparkling ICE Lemon Lime
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- Fresh squeezed orange juice
- Fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 lime slice, for garnish
Shake first four ingredients and pour into a chilled rocks glass rimmed with salt. Garnish with lime slice.
4. Green Tea Marg
Still want to reve up your metabloism, while having a cocktail? Then this green tea cocktail is perfect for you.
- 1 lime or lemon wedge
- Sauce of granulated sugar for coating rim of glass
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup strongly brewed Green Chai Spa Tea Blend , frozen into 6 to 8 small ice cubes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) premium tequila
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Rub the lime wedge around the rim of an old-fashioned glass. Dip and rotate the rim in the saucer of sugar, making sure to keep the sugar on the outside. In a blender, combine the chai ice cubes , tequila, lemon juice, orange liqueur, and sugar. Blend on the pulse setting until slushy. Pour into the sugar-rimmed glass.
For those who prefer their libations over ice, fill a sugar-rimmed old-fashioned glass one-third full of chai ice cubes . Follow the recipe for Green Tea Margarita, using the blender’s pulse feature to blend the ingredients until the ice is just coarsely chopped and the mixture is frothy. Strain the mixture through a bar strainer into the prepared glass.
5. Strawberry Margarita
- 3 1/2 cups strawberries
- 2 1/2 cups crushed ice
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons Cointreau (orange-flavored liqueur)
- Lime wedges (optional)
Combine strawberries, ice, tequila, lime juice, sugar, and liqueur in a blender, and process until the mixture is smooth. Pour the margaritas into 4 large glasses. Garnish margaritas with a lime wedge, if desired. Serve immediately.
6. Spicy Grapefruit Margarita
- For the cayenne simple syrup—
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- To make the drinks:
- 1 grapefruit, juiced
- 4 oz tequila, divided
- 2 oz cayenne simple syrup, divided (or to taste)
- 8 oz grapefruit juice, divided
- lime wedge
- salt or spice rub to rim glasses
A couple of hours before you want to make the drinks, prepare the simple syrup so it has enough time to cool in the fridge. Combine the sugar, water and cayenne in a small saucepot and bring to a simmer. Stir so that all sugar melts then remove from heat and cool in the fridge.
To assemble the margaritas, run the lime wedge around the rims of the glasses then press in salt or spice rub. Place ice in glasses and add to each glass 2 oz tequila, 1 oz simple syrup (or to taste) and 4 oz grapefruit juice. You can add more or less syrup and juice depending on how sweet you like your margarita. Stir well and serve.
7. Watermelon-Mint Margarita (can be made into a Virgin Margarita)
A different twist on margarita. Made with watermelon and mint. This cocktail can also be made into a mocktail.
- 4 cups seeded and chopped watermelon
- Fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup tequila*
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lime rind
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- Garnish: fresh mint sprig
1. Place watermelon in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze 4 hours or until firm.
2. Coat rims of cocktail glasses with lime juice; dip in sugar.
3. Process frozen watermelon, tequila, and next 4 ingredients in a blender until slushy. Pour into glasses. Garnish, if desired.
*1/2 cup orange or apple juice may be substituted for tequila.
Virgin Margaritas for the designated drivers or others that want to join in on the fun as well.
8. Classic Virgin Margarita
- 2 tbsp kosher (coarse) salt
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 can 6-oz frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 cups ice cubes
1. Place the salt in a shallow dish. Rub the rim of each of 4 glasses with a lime wedge and dip the rims into the salt; set the lime wedges aside. Blend the limeade concentrate, orange juice, and ice cubes in a blender on high-speed for 1 to 2 minutes, or until well blended and the ice cubes crushed. Pour evenly into the glasses and garnish with the lime wedges. Serve immediately.
9. Virgin Strawberry Margarita
Fresh strawberries, lime juice and orange juice is all you need.
- 3 ice cubes
- 1/4 lb fresh strawberries
- 1/16 cup lime juice
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar, to taste
- 1/4 to taste strawberry, and
- 1/4 to taste lime wedge (to garnish)
Place ingredients in blender and pulse until crushed and slushy. Pour into serving glasses and garnish with whole strawberries and lime wedges.
10. Virgin Banana Margarita
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- lime wedges
- Sanding sugar, for glasses
- Ice cubes
- 3 bananas, peeled
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
To sugar-rim the glasses, rub a lime wedge around rim of 2 stemmed goblets. Fill a saucer with sanding sugar. Dip goblet, upside down, into sugar.
Fill blender half full of ice cubes. Add lime juice, bananas, granulated sugar, and milk; blend. Taste for sweetness, adding more sugar, if desired. Blend a few seconds more; pour into sugar-rimmed glasses. Serve immediately.
Do you have any margarita recipes you would like to share? Comment below.