Almost as wonderful as its heart-shape, the green prickly fruit with a sweet white pulp is not only known as a tasty fruit staple but it is wonderful and powerful health and medicinal benefits sure seem to capture the eyes, hearts and bodies of mankind. Soursop, also known as guanábana(Spanish),graviola(Portuguese),corossol (French),sorsaka(Papiamento) is native to South America, the Caribbean, and parts of Africa & Asia
It is a continuous flowering and fruiting plant that has captured the sweet tooth of many and in return packing enough benefits to keep you asking for seconds!
This fruit is packed with B vitamins, vitamin C, calcium, iron, and potassium.
- Thiamine, the B vitamin that is needed in aerobic energy production is definitely found in this prickly green sweet fruit and helps produce energy for your body.
- Speaking of B vitamins, it is a great snack for pregnant women to enjoy due to the Folate it packs. It also helps to reduce excessive vomiting in pregnant women.
- As for the vitamin C, it is essential for your immune system and is a powerful antioxidant.
- The Iron found in soursop can help prevent anemia, a condition that the body lacks in healthy red blood cells.
- Also, when working out and you could cramp up; have no fear, due to the Potassium found in soursop, it may be your answer to prevent cramps especially those leg cramps.
Not only does soursop contain vitamins and minerals, but also it is high up on the list for containing healthy levels of good fats, good carbohydrates and even protein. Not enough to convince your to write it on your grocery list?
Let’s go back to the inside and outside benefits. Well, examining the leaves of this fruit it can be used to help with eczema and other skin issue, such as head lice or even promoting faster healing on wounds. Listen up pregnant women the leaves can also be used for inflammation and swollen feet.
Soursop can also be used for gall bladder troubles, annoying coughs, fevers and indigestion. This fruit seems to be very beneficial for flu season!
A few other ways soursop can be beneficial is if it is juiced and taken orally. It can be a remedy for haematuria and liver aliments. This was studied and published in the Journal of Natural Pharmaceuticals in 2010. Researchers wanted to know if soursop extract was a good treatment for jaundice and other liver ailments. They found the leaf extracts can treat hepatic jaundice. And if your get a hold of the root bark, then it can be used as an antidote for poisoning. But, back to the fruit itself, it is commonly used to help with migraines because it is packed with Riboflavin.
Speaking of headaches; the common reason many know of soursop is its benefit towards the all too common headache we call cancer. Unlike the damaging effects caused by chemotherapy, a wide known form of cancer treatment, soursop doesn’t produce damaging hair loss, it only kills damaged cells and only the damaged cells are affected, leaving the regular cells unharmed. The common cancer cure property in soursop is Annonacin. A 2012 study conducted at Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine concluded that “Annonacin seed extract showed significant anti-tumor activities against human hepatoma cells in vitro and in vivo, indicating a potential for developing the extract as a novel anti-liver cancer drug.” This however needs more studying done to back up its claims to cure cancer, but, it certainly isn’t a bad start to a sweet ending!
Thought this is a tropical plant it can be found in various supermarkets usually in the international foods section. Goya brand has this as a nectar in a can as well as the pulp. You can also order it here on Amazon.
- It can be enjoyed as a tea (from the leaves and bark).
- It can be made into ice cream or even sorbet.
- It can be a great added ingredient for cakes and pies, oh so sweet.
- Not thinking dessert? Then it can be used as a side dish
- Or simply enjoyed as a fruit juice.
- 2 cups of Almond Milk
- 1/2 Tablespoon of your favorite non-calorie sweetener (Splenda, Truvia, etc)
- 1/2 Cup of Soursop chunks or Goya’s Frozen Pulp
- 1/4 cup of Diced Pineapples
- 1 Scoop of your favorite protein powder
- Blend and Enjoy
Whatever your choice may be, it is a sure crowd pleasure and a great healthy choice for you and your family. Now that your mind is racing with all this sweet news, go ahead and order yourself some soursop to try for yourself. As always share your tips and ideas with us.
Arthur FK, Woode E, Terlabi EO, Larbie C. Evaluation of hepatoprotective effect of aqueous extract of Annona muricata (Linn.) leaf against carbon tetrachloride and acetaminophen-induced liver damage. J Nat Pharm 2012;3:25-30.
Posts You May Like